Last year, I had some kick-ass resolutions. How do I define “kick ass”? For starters, I actually kept them (to be fair, one of them was to drink more juice).
A brief recap: my 2013 resolutions…
- Drink more juice. Check!
- Apply for an apprenticeship this summer with Growing Places Indy. So much checking!
- Take a trip with my honey. So we didn’t end up in Oregon, but our vacation did require passports. Check and check!
More importantly, though, it seemed my mental pump was primed this time last year for some big changes in 2013 (of which there were so, so many). It’s easy to list off the events that happened: got engaged, got pregnant, did an urban farming apprenticeship, learned so very much all summer long, expanded our garden, got married, went on an awesome vacation, had a fantastic baby shower, etc. etc.
However, the internal shifts are harder to quantify or even vocalize without starting to feel like a dirty hippie. But they are really, incredibly important to me. A few of the things I learned this year:
- View the world through a positive lens.
- Actively kick those negative, ugly, or self-defeating thoughts out.
- Get excited about the immense number of things you can do, the things you can learn, the people you can meet, the ways you can move forward and just be better at being you; don’t worry about your limitations.
- Actually, just kick those (mostly perceived) limitations to the curb while you’re at it.
- Do it. Show up. Open your heart. Don’t be afraid.
- Approach the world and especially the people in it with abundance and gratitude and thanks and gentleness. We all need more gentleness.
- Let people know you appreciate them. Show your gratitude any time you can.
Speaking of showing gratitude, I am so thankful for so many people over this last year. My parents (gratitude times a million, this year and always, really); Chris, who got me through the worst days, supported me unconditionally as I came up with new schemes and dreams, and cheered me on through the best; Laura, Tyler, all of my Growing Places Indy peeps, and my inspiring, thoughtful, hilarious fellow apprentices this summer; Amy at South Circle Farm for so graciously opening up her farm to us on what turned out to be one of my favorite days this year, our wedding; Maggie at Fall Creek Gardens for being generally awesome and letting me help out with the new demonstration garden; our good local friends, fellow knitters, and neighbors; all of my girl friends scattered across the country, who listened during some damn dark days early this year; and my amazing, generous, loving extended family, of which I’ve always been so thankful to be a part and which expanded even more this year.
So my resolutions for 2014?
- Keep working to live all those hard to quantify, sometimes easy to forget life lessons I picked up in 2013.
- Approach motherhood and our soon-to-be expanded family with humor, joy, and adventure. Oh, the places we’ll go.
- Go on a real vacation with my husband and my baby. Maybe this year will be our chance to roam the Oregon coast, expand our micro-brewery horizons among the Portland-hip, and introduce our baby to a starfish or two.
- Continue to put myself out there and open my heart to people who make it easy to feel gratitude, thanks, and positivity.
Happy NEW YEAR! Here’s to lots of goodness in 2014.