Last but certainly not least is Ono, the second of our two black Australorps. Although the title of this entry may seem a tad negative, there are a number of funny, quirky, and hilarious items of note about our young Ono.
1. Ono acts like she is dying every single time you pick her up – if you can catch her. Seriously, with the yelping and the carrying on, it’s almost funny how much she hates our hand parts.
2. Even when she was just a wee thing, she liked to face the wall in her own “if I can’t see them, they can’t see me” act of defiance.
3. I find it totally endearing, though, that as she has started growing up and getting her big girl feathers in, she looks more and more like a hobo who just arrived in town from Toledo via a well-timed train jump. What mother couldn’t love that ratty little neck of hers?
4. It has also become apparent that Ono loves food.
5. She is very often the first one to check out the new delicacy we have brought out to our (very spoiled) chicks. The others all look on with suspicion, while Ono sticks her nose right in it.
6. When she was little, sometimes she even passed out in her food.
7. But seriously… you don’t want to get in the way of Ono and her snack time.
Ono, you curmudgeon, you, we are thankful that if you ever get out of captivity, we can at least coax you back with food. We hope. Celery snacks and meal worms, anyone?