First and foremost, be sure to add Jenna and her lovely blog, Upcountry Living, to your blog roll! We have a little collab going (that’s what the cool kids say, right? collab?) of guest posts. Check out our guest post on her blog, “Chicken FAIL,” and stay tuned in early September for a report right here from our best (and, admittedly, our only) buddy in Maine!
Next up: August canning report! Seeing as it is now September, you can see I’ve been a tad behind on my canning reports. With all the chicken telenovela drama we’ve been having, the canning reports have dropped to the wayside a bit. Who cares about canning reports when UFOs are flying out of chickens’ backsides and the little death defying jerks are breaking out and braving the wilds of So Bro?!
- Honeyed Hot Peppers (3 half-pint jars): Yes, more honeyed hot peppers! Now that it has rained a bit again and the temperatures are cooling, the peppers are finally taking off. This recipe is perhaps one of our favorite foods around here – we put them on burgers, huevos rancheros, egg sandwiches, tacos. They are fantastically hot.
- Roasted Tomatoes (4 half-pint jars): I will admit, I am lazy when it comes to tomatoes. Peeling seems like a horrible pain in the tookus. Plus, I discovered last summer that I absolutely love the sweetness of roasted tomatoes. So instead, I roasted a big batch of Romas, then added the appropriate amount of lemon juice and canned them based on a different basic tomato recipe. I hope we don’t get botulism.
- Apple Sauce (10 jars and counting): What can I say… in the immortal words of my favorite uncle, Kyle, I yike apple toss (Kyle didn’t utter a word until he was about four years old. The first thing he said was, instead, a sentence: “I yike apple toss”). I have probably one more batch worth of apples in the fridge, too, so there will be more apple sauce. Oh, yes.
- Pickled Beets (3 jars)
- Honeyed Hot Peppers (5 half-pint jars, plus some)
- Cinnamon Blueberry Jam (9 4-oz. jelly jars)
- Garden Herb Blueberry Jam (2 jars)
- Rosemary Jelly (8 half-pint jars)
- Hot-Cumin Pickled Summer Squash (4 jars)
- Turmeric Refrigerator Pickles (4 jars)
- Bread and Butter Pickles (4 jars)
- Honeyed Green Hot Peppers (2 jars)
- Pickled Beets (2 jars)
- Classic Pickle Spears (3 jars)